- The choice of Samoa as a destination is principally driven by three factors: Family/Friends in Samoa, Beautiful Beaches/Warm Water/Scenery and Warm and Sunny Weather. Tourists from Europe are also attracted by Culture and History, and less so by Family/Friends. Holiday tourists are attracted most by Beautiful Beaches/Warm Water/Scenery and Warm and Sunny Weather
- Friends and Relatives are the most commonly used sources of information to find out about Samoa as a destination (35% of all tourists seek information from them). 23% of tourists also use information from Previous Experience (although there is a low incidence of this from tourists travelling from Europe). 24% of visitors from Europe use websites to find out about Samoa, a higher proportion than any other group. Visitors from Europe are also most likely to use Guide Books.
- One in three Holiday tourists uses information from Friends and Relatives, with websites (16%) being the next most popular source (followed by Travel Agents, and then Previous Experience).
- The main sources of information used when in Samoa are Friends and Relatives (28%) and Previous Experience (21%). The use of Accommodation Providers for getting information is also quite significant (except for tourists from American Samoa). The three most popular sources for tourists from Europe are Guide Book, Accommodation Provider, and Visitor Centres/STA.
- Holiday tourists are more likely to use Accommodation Providers (22%) for information when in Samoa than any other source.
- Friends and Relatives are the main sources of information used for planning and booking trips to Samoa (26%), followed by Travel Agent, Previous Experience and Websites. However, for tourists from Europe, the main source of information is Websites. It is also the second most popular source of information for tourists from Australia.
- Holiday tourists’ main source of information for planning and booking trips are Friends and Relatives, Websites and Travel Agents.
Published Monday, 14 March 2016